WHAT IS EMF? The Term EMF stands for Electromagnetic fields, you cannot see or hear them. Electromagnetic fields are present everywhere in our environment – the earth, sun and ionosphere are all natural sources of EMF. Electromagnetic fields are generated either by natural or human-made sources.
Natural sources of electric and magnetic fields include:
- The Earth’s Magnetic Field // this makes a compass point north
- Lightning // lightning generates EMF
- Visible light // we can see using optical radiation
If you live where there is cell (mobile) phone service or power lines, you are exposed to artificial EMFs. The electromagnetic (EM) spectrum is the scientific name for types of photon radiation. Electromagnetic radiation consists of photons (light particles) that travel in a wave-like pattern at the speed of light.
What Emits EMF Radiation?
At the low end of the EM are extremely low-frequency (ELF) waves. These have longer wavelengths and come from the 50- to 60-hertz power lines that feed household appliances. ELF waves can pose health risks, especially when they are close to the body for extended periods. On the high end is radio frequency (RF) radiation comes from:
- Cell (mobile) phones
- Smart Meters (in the home)
- Wi-Fi Router
- Cordless phones
- Mobile antennas
- Broadcast towers
- Power Lines
- Electrical Security (Home Alarm)
The higher the frequency, the greater the risk to health. Microwaves are a good example, they are very-high-frequency radiation, and they can pose a significant health risk. Many cell (mobile) phone towers operate in the microwave range.
Human-made sources of electromagnetic fields include:
- Electrical Appliances
Radio Communications Devices
- AM / FM radio and television
Emergency service radio (police, fire, ambulance)
Air traffic control
Is EMF Radiation Dangerous?
Bioelectrical signals help to regulate many processes of the human body. Science indicates that every cell in your body may have its own EMF. Strong artificial EMFs can enter your body and interfere with the natural way your body works. This can affect virtually any system within your body, from your sleep cycles to your stress levels to your immunities to your DNA. According to the most conservative estimates of independent EMF researchers, at least 35% of the population suffers from “mild to moderate” symptoms of electro sensitivity.
Symptoms of EMF Sensitivity
- Fatigue & Weakness
- Sleep Disturbance & Insomnia
- Headaches & Migraines
- Brain Fog & Difficulty Concentrating
- Depression or Anxiety
- Memory Loss
- Visual Disruptions & Light Sensitivity
- Skin Problems
- Heart Palpitations
Dr. Martin Pall has shown clearly in studies that extremely low levels of EMFs (thousands of times lower than what a cell phone emits) can activate the cells’ (voltage gated calcium channels), leading to biological effects such as:
- Oxidative stress
- DNA breaks
- Melatonin depletion
The 65% of people who are not sensitive to EMF are still effected by it – research by Swedish researcher Prof. Olle Johansson has shown that several healthy “non-EMF sensitive” students who had their back near a computer screen or TV set (both sources of electrical and magnetic field EMFs) saw an abnormal number of histamine containing mast cells migrate to their dermis (skin) – as if their body had an allergic reaction.
DID YOU KNOW // The average levels of “ambient electrosmog” in the microwave radiation range (cell/mobile phones, wifi, Bluetooth) has increased by 1,000,000,000,000,000,000-fold (a quintillion) in the last 100 years.
How to Detect EMF Radiation?
The only way to precisely assess real exposure is through the use of an EMF meter, though proximity cell phone towers or other outside sources of EMFs can still lead to high exposure even in rural regions.
How many different wifi networks can you detect around your home, from your mobile phone or computer? in my home office I can pick up 5 different wi-fi networks, I live in a detached home with only one next door neighbour, there is one mobile phone mast about half a kilometre away. If you can detect 15 or more wi-fi networks signifies fairly elevated levels of ‘electrosmog’, which is likely in a city environment. These levels might effect the health of some electro sensitive individuals.
Does a phone shield reduce EMF Radiation?
Consumer protection and fair trading agencies in the US, Australia and New Zealand have brought successful legal actions against the unsubstantiated claims of effectiveness by some manufacturers/agents of these types of devices.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) advises that: “The use of commercial devices for reducing radiofrequency field exposure has not been shown to be effective.”
The WHO also provides information on how to reduce mobile phone exposure: “In addition to using “hands-free” devices, which keep mobile phones away from the head and body during phone calls, exposure is also reduced by limiting the number and length of calls. Using the phone in areas of good reception also decreases exposure as it allows the phone to transmit at reduced power.”
Look for phone shields which have been tested and proven in certified FCC and / or NATA accredited laboratories (USA)
How to Reduce EMF Radiation in your home
According to Nicolas Pineault is an investigative health journalist and bestselling author of the book “The Non-Tinfoil Guide to EMFs”. You can cut down your personal Exposure by 90% with three changes:
- Always keep your personal wireless devices // Cell (mobile) phone, tablet, laptop, etc. – one foot from the body. How: By using the laptop on a table instead of the lap, using speakerphone or wired headphones when talking on the phone and hitting “Airplane Mode” when carrying the phone in the pocket or bra.
- Minimise phone use inside your car or in areas of low connectivity // Such as staircases and elevators. Phones will increase their EMF emissions by up to 10,000-fold when the connectivity is low13 (including when it’s on “idle” in a pocket), so this step alone can tremendously reduce EMF exposure.
- Use of wired ethernet over wi-fi // Especially for people with a compromised immunity, children, pregnant women, the elderly and those who are clearly sensitive. Keep any wi-fi router at home at least 10 feet from their body, and that it’s turned it off at night or when not in use. How: plug the power for the wi-fi router into a timer to switch off at night or times when not in use.
Until next time..
Be human, be kind, be you
- Aggregated data from two double-blind base station provocation studies comparing individuals with idiopathic environmental intolerance with attribution to electromagnetic fields and controls.
- Reliable disease biomarkers characterizing and identifying electrohypersensitivity and multiple chemical sensitivity as two etiopathogenic aspects of a unique pathological disorder.
- Radiation from wireless technology affects the blood, the heart, and the autonomic nervous system.
- Investigation on the health of people living near mobile telephone relay stations
- Cell Phone Radiation and Health